Super Detailing the Heljan O Gauge Deltic

16/08/15: First steps..

Having had the loco for nearly twelve months the most I'd managed to undertake was to dismantle it - some parts needed re-ordering as their removal didn't go well and I found Howes Models in Oxford offered a decent service in part replacement: Howes Models. One of the biggest short comings is the cab interior and horrendous covers over the motors (visible through the cab windows). I also wish to have open or partially open cab doors - mine will be an MPD scene:

To allow more room in the cab interior the motors need to have the fly-wheels removed - on a small MPD layout I decided the flywheels would not be required...

Opening up the bogie reveals the gear system...

A tap with a small screwdriver releases the motor from flywheel...

With the flywheel removed the cab interior is opened up, however, the motor cradle and support still hinder the cab...

The above photos show the door apertures marked on the chassis and the resulting 'butchery' which gives a flat platform for the new interiors - note the locating lugs for the old cab interiors have also been removed and the chassis has been cut back approximately 2mm behind the door apertures.

More butchery is required for removal of the models cab doors...

The mouldings also need to be cleaned away inside the bodyshell, though I retained the rear moulding as this would provide a 'stay' for the future engine room bulk-head...

The removal of a small portion of this rear moulding would be required later to give clearance for the new cab floor...

With the bodyshell re-acquainted with the chassis it can be seen that the motor and support still give problem to the work in hand and the word 'compromise' raises its ugly head...

The new cab floor is marked out for bogie clearance and the area is cut away - though I did not take all of the leading edge away as my scene would not incorporate tight curves...

Evidence of any compromise is viewed here as the cubicle takes shape - I was concerned that there wasn't going to be any clearance for engine room doors, however, the width of the bodyshell (wider than the chassis) allows just enough room. This would not be to scale and proper clearance would require thinning down the chunky collar that surrounds the motors. With a big hole in the cab floor I decided the width of engine room doors was acceptable and gave in to 'modellers license'...

With the bodyshell once more attached (cab interiors need to be fitted inside the bodyshell before it is re-united with the chassis) the clearance for engine room doors and visibility of the 'big hole' are less of a problem as I first thought...

The cab interior takes shape - note that this is just a trial plastic interior and may be replaced by brass sheet for the final article - the draught shields are in place and held apart by a temporary strip (these might be fitted to the bodyshell rather than cab interior in the future). Also shown is the cutting-back of the glazing to give clearance - this might also be discarded in favour of scratch-built cab side windows in the future...

BACK